Being on a hill, our hireable exhibition, project, teaching and event facilities are arranged on two Ground Floors! (Detailed Floor Plans are available for each hireable area.) The Basement Level is the lowest floor (aka ‘Zone G’ or Lower Ground Floor, accessed from Belvedere Road at the back), whereas Ground Level is the middle floor (aka ‘Zone 1’ accessed from Abbey Street at the front), with a Top Level (aka ‘Zone 2′) of private artists’ studios above on the top floor.
Spaces available to hire (please call 01795 535515 for prices and bookings):
- Upper Gallery (Ground Level off Abbey Street): 90.5 sq m (974 sq ft)
- Project / Teaching Space (Basement Level off Belvedere Road): 32.1 sq m (346 sq ft)
- Print Studio (Basement Level): 29 sq m (312 sq ft)
- Performance Space (Basement Level): 109.2 sq m (1175 sq ft) + Backstage 24.1 sq m (259 sq ft)
- Lower Gallery (Basement Level): 112.4 sq m (1209 sq ft) + Tunnel 72.4 sq m (779 sq ft)
Despite incomplete conversion works our Basement Printmaking Studio and flexible Project Space have hosted many activities / classes including creative upholstery, ceramics, painting, drawing, mask-making or cartoons for kids, craft workshops, linocut printing, flower arranging, and experimental sculpture. The Lower Gallery is accessed via the Front Staircase (turn left from the Main Entrance lobby on Abbey Street) when exhibitions are running. This quiet, dedicated gallery space serves to accommodate exhibitions requiring the higher ceiling and a cool, reflective atmosphere, in contrast to the busy, multi-functional Upper Gallery. Our multi-use Performance Space also on the Basement Level houses exhibitions, Life Drawing and various events, but still needs development funds for improvements such as a raised timber floor with integrated heating, more lighting options, and completion of the backstage facilities.